Since 2018, The Synthesis Institute has offered legal, safe, and evidence based psychedelic wellness retreats near Amsterdam, guiding individuals and groups who want to experience psychedelics for integrative healing, personal growth and spiritual exploration.
“Our name is a tribute to our core mission; providing an integrative approach to transformative wellness synthesizing modern science and medicine with wisdom traditions, ancient shamanistic rituals, and spiritual practices.”
If you want to know more about us, click here.
We are currently looking for an impact-driven individual who is passionate in helping Synthesis grow in the United States. Synthesis is hiring a Financial Controller to join our finance team and help with our US operations.
The Financial Controller will work with our Senior Financial Accountant located in Europe and Chief Financial Officer Financial Controller to oversee, compile and review the financial results of our expanding operations in the United States including our retreat center and training programs in Oregon. The Financial Controller will be responsible for tax compliance, budget and cost control processes and the compilation of consolidated financial reports for the US companies in the group.
The person filling this position will bring US tax and internal controls experience along with best practices in reporting and budgeting to the finance function and ensure that the organization delivers on its mission, impact and growth targets.
The right candidate will have extensive experience in budgeting and variance analysis, financial analysis and reporting & tax requirements in the United States and internationally.
- Financial & management reporting - Compilation, review and consolidation of multi-entity financial statements - P&L, Balance Sheet & Statement of Cash Flows - used for management and statutory reporting
- Budgeting - Preparation, oversight and review of geographic budgets and monthly variance analysis review and presentation, liaising with team leads to ensure budget adherence & cost optimization.
- Forecasting - Preparation of short and long-term financial forecasts by location for use in internal cash flow management, treasury and corporate financial strategy
- Audit and Tax - Coordinate audit, tax and any other required statutory reporting activities with external advisors in the US jurisdiction
- Internal Controls - Ensure policies and procedures are consistently developed, updated and applied to ensure the appropriate bookkeeping and reporting of financial results and safeguarding of assets across the company
- Transfer Pricing - Ensure adherence to transfer pricing policies for each jurisdiction and coordination with external transfer pricing advisors
- Financial Risk Mitigation - Review financial data and report to senior leadership to make appropriate recommendations and identify key financial risks
- Any other tasks or special projects as required
Competencies & Experience
- 5+ years of financial management experience, specifically, financial reporting and financial planning & analysis, in complex, international, multi-jurisdictional and/or multiple entity environments
- Professional accounting qualification, such as CPA, CA or ACCA; CFA, MBA or other finance qualification an advantage
- University Degree in commerce, economics or similar discipline
- Demonstrated track record to work independently, own decision making, set priorities, and proactively collaborate & solve problems
- Highly personable with a direct and transparent communication style
- Well developed technical and analytical skills
- Proficiency with Major accounting & ERP software Netsuite, Hyperion , Sage or similar including creating detailed, accurate financial reports and dashboards
- Experience & proficiency with MS Office, Excel & Google Suite and Sheets and electronic communication mediums such as Slack and Asana preferred
Nice to have
- Experience working in a multi-national & multi-entity organization.
- Experience working in a culturally diverse team
- Maintains a personal spiritual practice
-Personal experience with psychedelics or altered states of consciousness is a big plus!
What we have to offer
- The opportunity to join and steward an organization that is leading the modern psychedelic movement, advancing scientific research, training and education to create access to safe, legal psychedelic experiences for integrative healing and expansion.
- Competitive base salary commensurate with experience
- 100% remote role
- 20 days per year of PTO
Meet the team you will work with
Take a look at your future co-workers
Synthesis operates uniquely as a for-profit stewardship entity in a complex regulatory and operating environment. The Synthesis Institute is based in Amsterdam in The Netherlands, with our Digital Education division based in Oregon in the United States. We are accepting candidates globally and will consider those willing and able to work remotely, provided they meet the requirements of the position.
As an organization, we take our responsibility to create a just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive psychedelic future seriously. We strongly encourage individuals from historically marginalized communities (BIPOC, LGBTQ, differently abled, women, and more) to apply.